Where do you find your local community news? How do you stay connected to new and old businesses in your community? Metroland Media is a communication company built on a strong history of providing the news to Ontario’s door steps for over 100 years. In this ever growing industry we have continued to evolve, allowing us to become the industry leaders. Flyers, magazines, trade shows, digital advertising and distribution is a snapshot of our companies breadth. If you are looking for a dynamic company built on a strong history within your community, look no further.
Online Editor for Metroland East
Ottawa Valley website (InsideOttawaValley.com)
- Engages local content staff based in two offices (Smiths Falls and Renfrew) in daily web publishing efforts to attain monthly traffic targets,
- Manages social activity for the individual newspapers and regional websites,
- Regularly monitors website traffic analytics for better content positioning and syndication, and additional content creation opportunities,
- Content optimizer: ensures on-site best publishing practices of headline writing, related stories, story-to-story embedded links,
- Extends selected relevant content to social channels,
- Shares content via bookmarking sites (e.g. Digg, Reddit, Delicious),
- Monitors and engages in social media activity for what the community is talking about to encourage new coverage ideas or community connections,
- Investigates and executes reciprocal and incoming links with relevant, trusted community partners,
- Ensures major community events (sports registrations, festivals) are published and linked,
- Interacts with community on event publishing.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma and/or three years work experience in the field
- Background in journalism or communications
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to interact well with managers, reporters and editors as well as the community
- Solid experience with social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and flexible hours, some weekend work will be required
- Creative mind and good eye for detail
OUR AODA COMMITMENT
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.