Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
We are seeking a Managing Editor for Niagara this Week who is eager to embrace grassroots community journalism in the Niagara Region. Niagara this Week includes seven weekly publications serving Niagara Falls, Fort Eire, Grimsby-Lincoln, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Port Colborne, St. Catherines-Thorold and Welland-Pelham. The successful candidate will have a track record in the evolving landscape of community journalism and delivering customer-focused information. The role is that of an innovative team player who reports to Metroland West (South) division's Regional Managing Editor.
- Digital-first newsroom publishing to NiagaraThisWeek.com and seven weekly newspapers in the communities that makes up Niagara Region.
- Employ data journalism as a means of telling stories in a unique way
- Explore alternate story forms, online and in print, for maximized reader engagement
- Provide leadership by consistently motivating and developing staff members with a focus on coaching and team building
- Knowledge of the communities and neighbourhoods that make up the Region of Niagara
- Highly organized; able to juggle multiple projects and deadlines at once
- Ability to work across platforms, including online, social media and print
- News management experience, digital and print
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Actively participate in company-sponsored community events and build/strengthen relationship within the community
- Passionate about digital landscape and on top of new digital trends and technologies
- Work collaboratively with other department managers to develop and implement projects beneficial to customers, clients and community members alike
- Active on social media and willing to build personal brand NiagaraThisWeek.com
- Plan and assign news coverage, while ensuring the coverage is accurate, timely and thought provoking
- Ensure compliance of company editorial policies and assist in directing specified editorial operations and initiatives
- Produce content, including stories and photos, for online and print.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism or in a related field.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment, driven for results.
- Team-oriented individual with proven leadership skills who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends.
OUR AODA COMMITMENT
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.