A subsidiary of Torstar Corporation, Metroland is one of Canada’s premier media companies. Metroland delivers up-to-the-minute vital business and community information to millions of people across Ontario. We have grown significantly in recent years in terms of audience and advertisers and we’re continuing to invest heavily in developing best-in-class talent, products and technology to accelerate our growth in the media landscape and strengthen our connection to the community. For further information, please visit www.metroland.com.
Metroland East is seeking a full-time Reporter/Digital Coordinator for the iPolitics online newspaper. iPolitics is a daily online newspaper dedicated to covering Canadian politics.
- Coordinating with the Managing Editor to produce daily news stories and feature pieces.
- Managing the social media accounts for the editorial team, including producing engaging complementary content that drives engagement.
- Produce unique visual content to complement news stories produced by iPolitics.
- Write and contribute to our daily newsletters, developing a unique voice that helps foster relationship with our audience.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or in a related field, or significant experience.
- Candidates should have an in-depth understanding of Canadian federal politics and familiarity with parliamentary procedure and policy development.
- The successful candidate would be someone who is comfortable speaking with a cross-section of Canadians including politicians, industry stakeholders and officials while seeking out a range of perspectives and building a broad network of sources.
- The successful candidate will be able to develop sources within political circles that allow them to break original stories.
- Proficient knowledge in graphic design and photo editing programs.
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid news judgment.
- Competent in social media outlets and possess online posting skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Strong social media skills, twitter, facebook etc.
OUR AODA COMMITMENT
Metroland is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, Metroland will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.